1200 kilometers, 90 hours, 6000 riders, alot of flapjack and not much sleep!

Tuesday 12 July 2011

Winton 200 - June 26th

I've been a bit slack with keeping the blog upto date as the rides have been coming thick and fast. This is another classic 200 that I've managed to tick off the list.  I made it into a 300 for the day with a ride up and back from Pompey to Kingsworthy near Winchester.  As all rides should start it began with some brekky at Mick's on the hill followed by a misty ride upto the start.  If only I coulds have banked those cool temperatures for later in the day!  A second breakfast of the legendary Kingsworthy cakes set me up perfectly for the ride.  Lee and myself manage to hang on with the fast boys for the first 30k or so before being dropped on the first proper hill!  By 10am the mist had burnt off and the temperature began to soar .....it was hot hot hot. I've never ridden in such conditions!  It was a day of some familar lanes and many new ones ...a fantastic route and a ride that lived upto it's reputation.  Hydration is key in these conditions so we ensured we had two stops for pints of bitter shandy and a couple of ice-creams!  At one pub stop we were entertained by a fair ground steam organ ...and the locals who seemed to have been taking advantage of the all day opening hours!!   It was a classic day out on the bike!  The Arriveee provided more cake and some soup to charge me up for the gently paced 50k home in the cooler temps and optomistic glow of the evening sunshine. Perfection!


Poppies on Salisbury Plain

Summer Audaxing



view from the North Downs

Beer and entertainment

my country retreat
evening sun over the Meon Valley

No comments:

Post a Comment